Military Humvees are not hard to get. After the government decommissioned them, you can get one from GovPlanet.com, the official site for auctioning military surplus vehicles.
The Humvee, an all-terrain four-wheel-drive vehicle, is 15ft long with a much wider track. Its full-loaded top speed is 65 miles per hour and weighs a whopping 7.7 tons. These are some of the Humvee specs that make it attractive to off-roaders.
- 1 Are Hummers Street Legal?
- 2 Buy a Military Hummer Successfully from GovPlanet.com
- 3 How do you make your Military Hummer Road Legal?
- 4 Keys Approaches to Gain Street-Legal Military Hummer Title.
- 5 Making a Humvee Street Legal from a Private Party
Are Hummers Street Legal?
When you buy a military hummer, it will not be street legal, unlike civilian Hummers like the H1, H2, and H3 that are all road-legal. If a Humvee is listed as off-road only, it may not have the hardware to pass any DMV inspection. This could be an old Humvee that can only be purchased as a collector’s item.
Buy a Military Hummer Successfully from GovPlanet.com
GovPlanet is the official site that is contracted to sell US Military Surplus machinery. There are a few things you need to know before acquiring a military hummer.
- To buy a Humvee, you need to have an account with GovPlanet and pass background checks. The waiting period is usually passing the background check.
- Get a number and watch auctions.
- Find the auction you want and win.
- After you win, you will receive the necessary paperwork to remove the Humvee from the military base.
- Coordinate with the government contractor on the pick-up time. GovPlanet has a timeline for picking the vehicle. It is known to charge for the extra days that the vehicle stays on the base.
- If you can’t pick the vehicle, make arrangements with a shipping company and ensure that the shipping company coordinates with the government contractor.
The whole process takes 4-5 months. Mostly, the government takes things at their pace, and second, there is not much personnel. GovPlanet sells around 200 Humvees every week, so delays are expected.
How do you make your Military Hummer Road Legal?
Military Humvee title laws are complicated when it comes to state-by-state laws for registering HMMWVs (Humvee). While some people have successfully titled and even insured their war-clad beast, some are still navigating bureaucratic processes that their home state has created.
In some states, you can register your Humvee for off-road use only. In others, it can only be a collector’s item, while others allow permitting a Military Hummer for on-road use. But you have to tread carefully.
You need to have the necessary documentation before visiting your local DMV.
- Order a US Gov Form SF97
This document is made available by GovPlanet for a few bucks. US Government Form SF97 comes with the Hummer. It is what your local DMV will use to title the Humvee.
- Obtain an End User Certificate.
This document is a must as it assures the government you will not ship the Hummer overseas.
- Acquire a Bill of Sale.
This document gives details of the transfer of the Humvee from the government to you. It tells your DMV the Hummer is not stolen.
- Take documents to local DMV.
When you have all the forms, you can visit your local DMV and start the titling process. Usually, this should take eight weeks, but it can take longer or never in some states.
Keys Approaches to Gain Street-Legal Military Hummer Title.
· Practice Common Courtesy
The process of titling your Humvee will test your patience. You’ll want to keep a level head when approaching your DMV at all times. They are the people who will inspect the Humvee and see if it passes all required safety features.
Remember that other people want to register their Humvee as well. It’s best not to create a situation where the DMV views Humvee owners as stubborn and block the possibility for others to title their Hummers in your state.
· Use Favorable Terminology
Terminology is vital, especially in states where you are unsure about the possibility of titling a military Hummer. Instead of HMMWV, Humvee, or Hummer, use M998 for the ID Plates. AM General UT or Utility Truck sounds better to any motor vehicle department.
· Buy a Hummer in Good Condition
If your Hummer cannot pass emissions or DMV scrutiny, it will be impossible to register it even for off-road use. Fortunately, GovPlanet inspects every vehicle, and they provide a full description. You may be required to perform modifications before the Humvee can be considered for a street-legal permit.
· Transfer a Clean Title from a Favorable State.
Perhaps the easiest way to make a Hummer street legal is by registering it in a state that is possible to make a Humvees road legal and then transferring the title to your home state. This process can be a bit expensive because the Humvee has to be inspected in the favorable state. If you have the time, this route may prove fruitful.
· Register as a Historic Vehicle
In Michigan, vehicles with historic plates can be driven without restrictions in August and participate in tours, parades, and exhibitions. If you want to take this route, you need to have a collector’s license plate. The process is relatively straightforward after that.
· Use an Agency
It is possible to obtain a Humvee title using an agency. It will take off the stress process, but it’s costly. It’s best to do your homework regarding the agency.
- Find out if the agency is legalized to title vehicles.
- Make sure the firm is reputable.
- Ensure that the firm has a guaranteed refund if the registration fails.
Making a Humvee Street Legal from a Private Party
If you buy a Humvee from a private party make sure that it is not stolen. Even if it drives, it doesn’t mean it was acquired legally. Obtain the vehicle’s VIN and check its history. Also, double-check the Bill of Sale.
States where it’s possible to Title a Humvee
- Illinois (Historic)
- North Carolina
- New Jersey
- South Dakota
- South Carolina
- US Virgin Islands
Making a Humvee street legal is not impossible. But the process can be long and disappointing. It all depends on your home state. Registering can vary from Off-Highway Vehicle to Off-Road or Farm Utility Vehicle. There are no guarantees that you can get a street-legal permit for a Humvee in any state.